Tuesday 18 June 2013

Chalkboard Nails

 Today I have tried to create a Chalkboard nail effect! I saw it on the Caité website when I was researching for my review and nail of the day with their polish Kitten Heels.... I really liked the Idea of using the matte nail polish to create the chalk board look! so here is what I did and here is how it went!
 
 
I started by Using the Rimmel 60 seconds black nail polish in Black Out... I have to admit it does not dry in 60 seconds although that being said it is pretty old now and I did use 2 pretty thick coats as I wanted it really black! I do remember it drying faster when it was new and thinner!
 
 
Once the Black had dried I put some nail polish on a napkin and used the flat end of a pin to dot dots on to my nails, as I do not have a dotter! I often use a hair pin but I did this a couple of days before and it did not give the desired look I was after, it was too thick and a bit messy! The flat end of a pin, in my opinion, is much more successful! I then used a different colour nail polish and a different pattern of dots on each finger! I wiped the remaining nail polish off the pin end after each nail so I could re-use the same pin and not contaminate the colour! I waited about an hour between putting on the black and dotting on the dots, I had a lot of time to kill so an hour was convenient for me but you don't have to wait that long!
 
 
So for this look I used....
Barry M Matt White 66 on my thumb and did a dotted swirl
Models Own Grape Juice on my pointer finger with a dotted line
Models Own Jade Stone on my middle finger with half a arch
Barry M Gelly Grapefruit 311 on my ring finger in a dotted heart
Ciaté Ferris Wheel on my little finger with a C shape and a dot in the middle 
I chose these colours because most of them are a pastel or pale colour and I think this adds to the chalkboard effect!
 
 
Finally I painted the matte coat, Rimmel Matte Finish Mattifying Topcoat, I would recommend leaving as much time as possible between the application of the dots and the top coat as on a couple of my finger the polish bled into the black when I applied it. As for the nail polish on my shin, I don't use a cotton bud in nail polish remover as I always make a MASSIVE mess and smudge what I am doing! I just wait till Its bone dry then go at it with soap and water and a nail brush or it quite easily picks off the skin!
 
The first time I did this I made it a but more schooly with a division sign and a addition sign and I didn't use the dots, I just used solid lines.... it was more fun but it didn't look as good. I prefer the dotted look personally! Let me know what you think and if you like my posts then subscribe to my blog with Google plus!
 
X

No comments:

Post a Comment